NEWS RELEASE FROM THE LIBERTARIAN ALLIANCE
In Association with the Libertarian InternationalRelease Date: Thursday 13th September 2007
Release Time: Immediate
Dr Sean Gabb (Director), 07956 472 199, email@example.com
For other contact and link details, see the foot of this message
Release url: http://www.libertarian.co.uk/news/nr055.htm
CONSERVATIVE REPORT ON ENVIRONMENT A “BLUEPRINT FOR GREEN FEUDALISM”
The Libertarian Alliance, the radical free market and civil liberties policy institute, today denounces the Conservative Party report Blueprint for a Green Economy as a “blueprint for green feudalism”.
Libertarian Alliance Director, Dr Sean Gabb, says:
“The Conservatives are proposing more taxes and more regulations on the basis of fraudulent claims about the impact of human activity on the climate. There is no global warming. If there is, it is not our doing. If it is our doing, government action is not the answer. But there is no global warming. This whole set of claims is a device to rescue socialism from the failure of its promise to deliver heaven on earth. Shame on the Conservatives for joining in the clamour.
“And shame, above all, on the very rich men who are telling us to tighten our belts in their attempt to ‘save the planet’. Zac Goldsmith, one of the authors of this Report, is one of the richest men in the country. David Cameron and John Gummer are not poor. If all the economic growth of the past century were to be rolled back, their sort would not suffer. If the rich want to travel, they have their private jets and helicopters. If they want to eat fresh fruit and vegetables out of season, they have their vast greenhouses. If they want to do without washing machines and gas-fired central heating, they can fall back on armies of servants and expensive personal generators. If they want entertainment, they can have their private theatres and orchestras, or whatever in our degraded modern culture serve in their place.
“For them, a reduction of the general wealth would be a blessing. It would ease pressure on the roads that they would continue using, and reduce numbers at exotic holiday resorts that would remain within their reach.
“These people talk about making the world a better place. Perhaps they believe what they say. The natural effect of their words, however, would be to make the world a better place for people who have done nothing to earn their wealth other than take the trouble to be born.
“This whole report is a blueprint for green feudalism.”
The Libertarian Alliance believes:
- That taxes and government regulations are bad:
- That economic growth is good;
- That the world will be a better place when every home in India and China has the same levels of income and consumption as North America and Western Europe;
- That the world will be a much better place when the continued scientific and technological improvement that freedom makes possible have enabled us to establish colonies on the inner planets and in the asteroid belt, and when the conquest of disease has allowed the human lifespan to be extended to centuries;
- That Messrs Goldmsith & Co should live as their ancestors did – whoring, drinking, gambling, hunting and being beastly to their servants – and leave the rest of us alone.
END OF STATEMENT