(1) An underground garage was being dug on the south side of the building, to a depth of 4.6 meters (15 ft).
(2) The excavated dirt was being piled up on the north side of the building, to a height of 10 meters (32 ft).
(3) They dug right up to the base of the building.
Then the rains came.
(4) The building experienced uneven lateral pressure from north to south.
(5) This resulted in a lateral pressure of 3,000 tonnes, which was greater than what the un-reinforced pilings could tolerate. Thus, the building toppled completely over in a southerly direction.
The building began to tilt. Then it began to shift, and the “hollow” concrete pilings were snapped due to the
And thus was born the eighth wonder of the world.
If these buildings were closer together, it would have resulted in a domino effect.
They built 13 stories on grade, with no basement, and tied it all down to hollow pilings with no rebar.