Our one blogreader (HI!… ‘You all-right ?) may be confused by the prevailing frequency of references to the UK’s major supermarket chains. This is because;
(1) People need food. Or they die. Socialism, being of the Devil, then arises, and takes a view.
(2) Socialism exists. Bummer. (…ON THE EARTH, FOR NOW…YOU PRE-CAPITALIST-MARXBOUND-BARBARIAN-UNENLIGHTENED-SLAIRS JUST WAIT TILL WE GET PROPERLY STARTED ON YOU, FROM SPACE…..(by just leaving you to stew in your own choices)…..) It therefore attracts dangerous, unsocialised, saddo dirigiste deadbeats; these are persons who can’t be trusted to do any useful work for real-people-who-are-responsible-for-others, and who thus have to pay bills and all that stuff, and who (that is to say, the deadbeats) instead therefore have no choice but to go into politics in Britain in the 21st century. Even the libdems won’t have them from now on, being desperate and running out of time, so they-deads have to go into the Labouring Party. Just look at the Labouring-Party today. Drowning in money, and no clue as to who it was from, and having to give it back, and looking very unprofessional overall.
If I was a truly-madly-deeply-professional Statist, such as Saddam Hussein or Stalin or Hitler or Castor or Pol Pot or Chirac or Putin or Mugabe, I would have had them all shot by now, and a new lot re-elected to serve the people even more effectively and, er, can’t remember the next word but it is superbly portentious and redolent with gravity and meaning – like 666, the years of the 5-year-plan.
(3) Deadbeats and socialsits (I like “socialsits” and will save it for later) think they are important, and want to affect the lives of other persons – just like those chaps who write and distribute viruses; so they “plan” stuff.
There is no other purpose to these people’s lives; I can’t fathom how such a fate has befallen the brains of such a large number of hominids, in so short a time. The Renaissance was not meant to lead to this pass.
(4) “Food” hits all the buttons of highly-charged graphic art, such as the images of burstingly-large corn-sheaves on all the currency of the old Soviet Empire.
(5) Socialsits want to get at the mass food-distribution system in the UK. For heaven’s sake, they invented rationing. They would like to bring it back in some post-modernly-disguised form, for they hate the fact that everybody from the 4×4-woman-school-run-driveress to the single-mum-from-Bootle-in-a-clapped-out-Metro-driven-by-her-beater-upper, can get food from where she/they can afford to go.
(6) The main UK supermarket chians; that is to say, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury, Morrisons and Waitrose, are very, very, very good at delivering exactly the foods that their particular customer target groups want, at the prices they can (just about ) afford. This is just one aspect of what is called CAPITALISM.
(7) This state of affairs is hateful to the leftist Nazi government in Westminster. So hateful that in fact the better performers – such as Tesco – are to be ordered to sell land and sites to the worse ones. Just watch.
I make these casual observations in the light of the progressive destruction of indigenous UK food suppliers over the last 10 years or so, by a government that knows the producers mostly don’t vote for it, never did, or ever would.
So we blog about food, and its production, and distribution, and the morality or otherwise of the entities involved.
If I was Tesco, and I owned all the shares in myself, then I would move abroad, if I was me. I would close my outlets in the UK, sack all the staff, bulldoze all my sites, hand them over to the “competition commission”, and tell the gumment, which thinks it ought to dictate what foods people ought to eat at what prices and from what kinds of outlets, to go on and try to do it for itself.
My last words on this?
“U S S R”
And also…..telephone Robert Mugabe, its friend, and ask him if in the kindness of his heart, he could possibly send us some food.